Late yesterday morning local time, a number of armed gunmen attacked the offices of French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in central Paris. The attack was the most deadly terrorist incident in France for at least the last 50 years. But precisely how did this event play out?
- Terrorists arrive on scene by car, while Charlie Hebdo staff were engaged in an editorial meeting.
- At least 2 armed men forced a staff member at gunpoint to let them in the building.
- Upon entering the building they proceeded to kill one police man guarding the newspaper’s editor, as well as 8 journalists (including 4 cartoonists), 1 guest editor and 1 office worker.
- The terrorists then exited the building, exchanging fire with a police patrol.
- Two machine-gun armed terrorists were then caught on camera wounding, and then killing a 2nd police officer in a nearby street.
- Finally, they escaped the scene in the same car they arrived in before ditching it, and jacking a different again.
Since then a number of other events have played out possibly connected to the search for the suspects.
- An apartment in Reims, north-east of Paris was raided by French RAID police. Nobody was found inside.
- A separate raid may have occurred in Charleville-Mézières also connected to the investigation. During the raid, journalists were kept away from the city.
- The youngest of the 3 attackers turned himself in to police custody at an unknown time last night.
Syria's jihadists react to a controversial statement made by an official of HTS.
An ISIS-linked Islamist group has reportedly overrun significant sections of the city of Marawi, located on the southern island of Mindanao in The Philippines.
The Raqqa operation, named Wrath of Euphrates, is entering its final stages as Syrian Democratic Forces are clearing areas north and east of the city of Raqqa from Islamic State presence.
Jenan Moussa, a journalist with UAE based al-Aan TV, released a video on her Twitter claiming to have sent three people undercover into Idlib province, where they filmed daily life with their cellphones.
The official account for the International Coalition for Operation Inherent Resolve has confirmed that coalition warplanes struck pro-government forces near al-Tanf area near the Syria-Iraq border "posing a threat to US partner forces".
Overnight the US Navy launched a Tomahawk cruise missile attack on a Syrian Air Force base in response to the chemical attack in Khan Shaykhun earlier this week.
Recent provocations by Russia and its militant proxies in Avdiivka's Industrial Zone fit with a continuing pattern of violence in SE Ukraine.
Islamic State is busy setting up a new affiliate in the Philippines, and government policies are allowing the threat they pose to worsen.
The battle for the Syrian city of Aleppo is in its final stages as government troops and allied militias dislodge the rebels from the final neighbourhoods
Islamic State (ISIS) fighters have this evening recaptured the city of Palmyra in central Syria.